Monday, April 15, 2019

Moving to Colombia

My long term plan is to move to Colombia. Fell in love with the country. I like the idea of not needing a car. My expenses will be low and I can get anywhere on bike pretty much. Even toying with the idea of opening a fixie bike shop, but we'll see.

Either way I should be able to get a lot of riding in. With all the bicycle commuters there I thought a shop that concentrated on commuters and single speeds might be unique. I just don't want to be a slave to a shop again.

The beauty of Bogota is it's pretty flat, but surrounded by mountains. Santiago Chile was cool for riding as well. Just seems the traffic in South America is more used to bicycles, so they are more lenient and aware of you.

Colombia at least Bogota had a lot more bicycles in traffic. In fact I have never seen so many bicycles in my life. The only places that might compare would be Holland or Denmark.

My trip to Chile was on a Road Bike and I was just doing long distance and mountain climbs. I did the mountain in downtown Santiago where they have the Christ statue. I rode from Santiago to Vina del mar which was like 75 miles, I did another mountain Farallones and the toughest ride Portillo which is a ski resort. This was actually part of the Andes and separates Chile and Argentina.
Portillo Chile
Image result for portillo chile      This was the road up the mountain 32 curves.

No comments: