Sunday, April 7, 2019

You just can't beat a Fixie!

The beauty of the fixed gear is it's simplicity and it's price. There is very little to go wrong or adjust and you can get a decent bike starting at $300. I've had my fancy road bikes but there is always a special connection with my fixie.

I don't know if it's the simplicity or the feeling of the connection you have with the bike. The complete control of being able to balance in place or the feel of the direct drive.

The customization of each fixie street bike tends to show the riders uniqueness. Very rare a fixie rider keeps his bike stock. From adding or removing brakes, changing wheels, seats or handle bars or decals I guarantee 90% of those bikes had some kind of customization before they hit the streets. It's the Fixie Way!

My personal bike was an old British track frame. I powder coated it black. I added a Mavic front brake and Velo wheels. I cut my road bars to a bull horn, put on a Selle Italian seat and old school Campy pedals with toe clips. I've had top notch road bikes worth a lot more money, but I never held the attachment to them as I have with this old track bike.

No comments: